Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Ann of Green Gables

Today I finished reading Anne of Green Gables and decided that it's one of my new favorite books.  I had read it years ago, maybe when I was about 10.  It's interesting to revisit things I remember from childhood to see if I experience them differently.  I'm curious about reading the sequels, where Anne becomes a teacher, to see how much it relates to my life as a teacher.  Some of my most beloved quotes:

"I'm not in the depths of despair this morning.  I never can be in the morning.  Isn't it a splendid thing that there are mornings?"

"It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will."

"My life is a perfect graveyard of buried hopes."  (So melodramatic!)

"If I really wanted to pray I'll tell you what I'd do.  I'd go out into a great big field all alone or into the deep, deep, woods, and I'd look up into the sky--up--up--up--into that lovely blue sky that looks as if there is no end to its blueness.  And then I'd just feel a prayer."

"A bosom friend--an intimate friend, you know--a really kindred spirit to whom I can confide my inmost soul.  I've dreamed of meeting her all my life."

"'Dear old world,' she murmured, 'you are very lovely, and I am glad to be alive in you.'"



Here's a photo of the book.  I wasn't crazy about the 80s style cover of this edition that I found in the basement of the library....so I altered it. :)

No comments: